I'd like to hear some recommendations from this list for customizations to emacs for coding Perl.

One seemingly respected site, http://emacswiki.org/emacs/PerlLanguage, has a lot of links but unfortunately some are pretty dated.  For example, the Perl Develop Environment, http://search.cpan.org/dist/Emacs-PDE/, last updated in 2008, wouldn't install because my version of Perl (5.16.1) was "too far out of date."  So of course the question is, how up-to-date is emacswiki.org?

As I say, I'm running Perl 5.16.1, and emacs 24.something.  I do have cperl-mode.el, but there are also a lot of goodies out there like variable-name completion and templates that look very useful.  I mostly don't want to be installing and troubleshooting stuff that hasn't been updated in five years and/or isn't "generally regarded" to be top quality.

Thanks for any pointers or even advice about what to avoid :)

Vic