I see. There is a .bashrc file in my home directory with the line
source /Users/gerard/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc
So I guess installing perl did override my .profile, although I'm not sure how.
The "source" man page redirects to "built in".

I'm not quite happy with the way perl installs itself, but at least now I know
how to remedy things. Thanks again,

-Gerard