On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 01:29:49AM GMT, Gerard Walschap wrote:
>       I see. There is a .bashrc file in my home directory with the line
> -------------
> source /Users/gerard/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc
> -------------
> So I guess installing perl did override my .profile, although I'm not
> sure how. The "source" man page redirects to "built in".

"source" will, well source a file (read if you will) and use the
information from there to set environment variables, functions, etc.
The fact that your .bashrc sources $HOME/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc
should generally be a good thing and probably is. It simply means that
the above file passes some necessary environment variables, like
additional $PATH to your $HOME/.bashrc, so you should not worry.

> I'm not quite happy with the way perl installs itself, but at least
> now I know how to remedy things. Thanks again,

As I've written below, that line might be necessary if you'd like the
program to run properly. Do however check its content.

> -Gerard

Regards,

Raf