Actually, it's the first time I've written a perl script that would be run
more than once.

It's the first time I didn't use another perl script as a guideline.

It's the first time I've written a perl script that re-routed stdout and
stderr to a file to be read the next day.

It's really the first perl I've written since taking the two perl courses
taught by Stonehenge Consulting (Randall Schwartz et al) at the Oregon
Graduate Institute. (Before the course I had hacked up a thing or two, but
nothing I really understood nor could reproduce. And since returning I've
modified literally two lines in someone else's code, but that's it.)

My company reimbursed me for those courses, and until yesterday we had no
perl in-house. I've been hoping for a justification for that reimbursement,
and now I've got one in production.

I'm pretty happy about this, I must admit.

-carol stone