On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Carol Stone wrote:

> I'm pretty happy about this, I must admit.

Congratulations!

My first Perl script, from 1998 or 1999, was rather ambitious considering
I knew very little about the language, was used to audit a database of
documents and convert images associated with those documents from
multipage TIFF images into PDF files.  I went into work on a holiday
(knowing there would be no one there to bother me), and with nothing but
the Camel book in my lap, emacs, perldoc and the PostgreSQL documentation
(which was pretty minimal compared to what there is now) slowly but surely
got the application written in the span of about 12 hours (including a
CGI.pm web interface).  Of course, I did enhancements to it later (because
I had discovered 'use strict' a week later) but was amazed at how easy it
was to get things written and working, and could do certain tasks that
alone would have taken a day of work to implement in C.  I was instantly
hooked on Perl (and PostgreSQL).

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/