On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 09:14 , phumes1 wrote:

> This way if someone runs the script from a command prompt I output it to
> the screen using >CON: and if its run from a web browser then I redirect
> it to a file and then read that file to the browser after completion
> using >output.txt".

small thought correction here...

you may wish to decide first about

        a) how to write the HTML version out to the browser
        b) how to write the text from the HTML version

If you run something like 'apache' as your webServer - then
there is an exceptionally low probability that anyone is
going to randomly and accidentally run you CGI.pm based code
from the command line...

There is an interesting set of examples in the O'Reilley
book on writing CGI code that will provide you with the
basic thing that you would expect to be passed to you
from the server.... in %ENV... But I would break the code
into two segments... One that is the Web Server Side CGI
the other being the Command Line Interrogator - or in
essence a lynx-ette that takes HTML and translates it back
into text....

ciao
drieux

---