On Jun 21, Nigel Peck said:

>Something occured to me the other day and I'm interested to know what
>people's opinions are on this list. When I'm reading the camel or other
>Perl books such as Perl and XML, the majority of the humour is related
>to The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the
>Galaxy. These are my favorite books. Is it

The Perl source code is peppered (or rather, headed) by a quote from LotR
in each of its source files.

(For example, locale.c quotes the "A Elbereth Gilthoniel" poem, and mg.c
quotes "I don't want to see no more magic" by Sam, and malloc.c quotes
Gimli saying "The Chamber of Records".  Not only are the developers of
Perl smart, they are devastatingly witty.)

Perhaps this is because programmers are of the sci-fi/fantasy book-reading
ilk, and LotR is perhaps the pinnacle of fantasy.  I've read it three
times, and it's probably my favorite book, although sci-fi books like
"Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Ender's Game" are close rivals.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/