Peter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It's going to print one line for each line of code that gets executed.
> Which will be 8 plus 3 * the number of lines read from PROC.  How many
> do you expect that to be?  No variable substitutions will be performed

Around 2000.  But I've confused things a bit here.  Looking at that
output is actually only tangentially related to debug output.  It
would be more for a trial check that things are getting tarred as
planned.

More important is the actual workings of the script.  There, I think
the -t would be more usefull although still quite a lot less so than
sh -x.

> No-one does what you want by using the debugger trace mode; they do it
> by explicitly printing a line intended to be logging information.

What a shame..  One can add a `sh -x' to `/path/script' without even
editing the actual script, to see quite a lot about how it works.
Or what I do is set `PS4='$LINENO: ';export PS4' in my shell init, then
 `bash -x /path/script' to get the line numbers where stuff actually
 occurs.

I would have thought perl would have something very similar.  But I
guess its a case of perl being considerably more powerfull and
involved so the output of a `sh -x' type thing would be too extensive
to be very  usefull, given the ways perl is likely to be used.