On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, drieux wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 01:31 , Sudarshan Raghavan wrote:
> [..]
> > The system ping command sends ICMP echo packets and by default Net::Ping
> > sends udp packets. This will work only if the machine you are pinging
> > supports udp echo requests. For compatibility with system ping command
> > change
> > my $pink = Net::Ping->new();
> > my $pink = Net::Ping->new("icmp");
> >
> > Note: You will need to have root permission to send icmp packets on a
> > unix machine.
>
> you may want to use 'tcp' instead - which I have found
> works just as well, and does not require that one
> run it as root.

I think this has the same issue, the machine being pinged must recognize
tcp echo requests. On my machine RH linux 7.3 I have to configure xinetd
to accept and reply to udp and tcp echo requests. I guess in both these
cases the application service if running handles the request unlike ICMP
where the protocol provides for this facility.