on Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:27:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tang Kim)
wrote:

> I need to learn Perl fast, have some C and 4GL background.  What
> is the best way for me to start?  I have 2 books that I have
> started looking at. Programming Perl by Wall, Christiansen &
> Schwartz and Perl Cookbook by Christiansen & Torkington.  I can
> download softwares into my PC, but I have to ftp over to my
> Solaris box from my PC.  What do I need to get started playing
> around with Perl?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
> Thanks.

You probably also want to take a look at O'Reilly's "Learning Perl" (By
Schwartz & Phoenix). If you have previous programming experience you
could probably go through it in a couple of days to get a feeling for
the language. After that, the Camel will give you all the details,
whereas the Cookbook is invaluable for solid example code.

If you have the choice between Unix/Win32 platforms, pick the one that
you will be developing for after you mastered the language. Perl is
available for both, and although a lot of it is platform independent,
there are some differences.

--
felix