On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:38:18PM -0300, Bruno Negrao - Perl List wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Bruno,

> I'm triyng to open the /etc/aliases.db file for reading with the dbmopen
> function - the result is that I can't open the file for reading, or
> something like this. yes, I have permission because I'm root.
>
> My script is:
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> use diagnostics;
> dbmopen(%ALIAS,'/etc/aliases',undef) ||
>     die "No aliases!: $!";
> while (($key,$value) = each(%ALIAS)) {
>     chop($key,$value);
>     print "$key $value\n";
> }

Disclaimer: I've never messed around with dbmopen() before, so I can't test this
example, but seeing as nobody with more authority has answered this yet, I'll
give it a shot:

dbmopen() expects a file permission mask (an octal number) as its third argument,
which 'undef' is not. You might try something like this as your lines 3 and 4:

dbmopen(%ALIAS,'/etc/aliases', 0644) ||
    die "No aliases!: $!";

Even if you're sure /etc/aliases is there, that should make dbmopen() happy.

Again, not sure if that's the answer, but it seems logical to me,
--
Michael