Bruno Negrao - Perl List wrote:

> Hi Michael,  the problem is not with the "undef" value - undef is fine -
> if you read the dbmopen's documentation you could see it.
>
> If I choose a value like "0644" the script still doesn't work.
> Bellow, is the output of the execution of the same program, but with 0644
> in place of undef:
>
> Uncaught exception from user code:
>         No aliases!: Invalid argument at ./zz line 3.
>
> I must admit that the errors are shorter but the program still doesn't
> work!!
> Oh, hell!!!

the dbmopen function has been largely superseded by the "tie" function.
you shouldn't use it in the first place.

in older version of Perl or that your system do not support DBM or ndbm,
calling dbmopen generates a fatal error and it tries the sdbm calls.

try eval{ dbmopen(..) } and check the $@ error

if you can, try not to use dbmopen at all, tie is better, safer and faster.

david