From: david [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 12:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "Or" Syntax

Lance Prais wrote:

> If I wanted to say:
>
> If a=b or a=c r a=d do this     How would I do that?

don't use '=' for comparison, sue '==' for numeric comparison and 'eq' for
string

> I thought I could do it like this but it did not work.
>
> 1.
> If ($a=b) || ($a=c) || ($a=d)
> {
> DO this
> }

the above is syntax error. should have been:

if($a eq 'b' || $a eq 'c' || $a eq 'd'){
}

> 2.
> If ($a=b) || if ($a=c) ||  if ($a=d)
> {
> DO this
> }

the above is also syntax error

i notice that in your code, you sometimes have:

if($a eq 'Public'){
        $b = 1;
}

if($a eq 'Public' || $a eq 'Whatever'){
        $b = 2;
}

if($a eq 'Public' || $a eq 'Whatever' || $a eq 'Something'){
        $b = 3;
}

now if $a is 'Public', all three of the if statement is true and the last if
statement sets $b equal to 3 which overwrites whatever is set in the first
2 if statement. i am not sure if that's really what you want or do you
mean:

if($a eq 'Public'){
}elsif($a eq 'Whatever'){
}elsif($a eq 'Something'){