Ben Crane wrote:

> Hi list,
> 2
> Right, I have a few (6 to be exact) cgi scripts that
> run (not at the same time) on our web server, all 6 do
> a variety of different things like parsing data from a
> csv file and creating a suitable output html format
> and redirecting to other pages.
>
> Our server has crashed and there seems to be a general
> consensus that the number of scripts being run is
> causing the problem as the server also runs a Content
> Management System alongside. I've gone through my
> scripts to see if I've done anything silly, but the
> most advanced of all the scripts simply opens a csv
> file and parses it...i usually have other cgi scripts

sometimes, it's not how "advance" or "complicated" a script that could cause
problem, it's how understandable you are as to what those scripts does. for
example, your cgi scripts can be very simple but if you have lines like:

my @data = <FILEHANDLE>;

or:

if(/$reg/o){
        #-- do something....
}

or stuff like that, your script will appear to be working most of the time
but it might fail once a while depends on what really came in. you should
look for those in your cgi scripts for anything that's obvious.

> that use the csv file for validating the data, but I
> have closed each filehandle...
>
> Can anyone think of what types of problems very basic
> cgi scripts can cause on a server?

you could be right that your server might be overloaded but it's really hard
to tell except you are willing to tell us more about the platform, server,
your cgi scripts... etc before anyone can tell you what really cause the
problem

david