From: "Johnson, Shaunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> --I've installed  ActiveState 2.1.6 on Windows NT serv. pak 6.

No you did not.
You installed ActiveState ActivePerl 6xx which is Perl version 5.6.1
+ some patches.

If you want to know the exact version run
        perl -v

Only the PPM installed with it is version 2.1.6.

> --I'm thinking that the problem is that I can't get to
> --the ActiveState site due to the proxy configuration
> --of the company (although I can ping the site).

That's possible.
If you go to the Start Menu\Programs\ActiveState ActivePerl, click
the "Perl documentation" and go to "ActivePerl FAQ\PPM" you should
get some info about this.

> --Also, do I need to have a compiler to install these?  I did
> --a search on groups.google.com and someone mentioned that
> --I should have one.

No. You don't need a compiler if you use PPM.
That is the reason of it's existence. Only if you try to install some
module directly from CPAN do you need a C compiler.

Jenda
===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery