Along the lines of what has been mentioned, do a search in the ActiveState
page for the HTTP_PROXY environment variable.  I believe just looking up the
word "firewall" will get you the articles you're looking for.

-----Original Message-----
From: ss004b3324 [mailto:meecho@;blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 3:07 PM
To: Beginners
Subject: RE: perl modules for NT

Hi Shaunn,

I am running W2K SP3 and it installs OK.
> pmm>install DBD-Oracle
PPM> install dbd::oracle
Install package 'dbd-oracle?' (y/N): y
Installing package 'dbd-oracle'...
Bytes transferred: 92963
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\Oracle\Oracle.bs
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\Oracle\Oracle.dll
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\Oracle\Oracle.exp
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\Oracle\Oracle.lib
Installing C:\Perl\html\site\lib\Oraperl.html
Installing C:\Perl\html\site\lib\DBD\Oracle.html
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\oraperl.ph
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\Oraperl.pm
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\DBD\Oracle.pm
Installing C:\Perl\bin\ora_explain
Installing C:\Perl\bin\ora_explain.bat
Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\Oracle\.packlist

Check which repository ppm is using:
PPM> set
Commands will be confirmed.
Temporary files will be deleted.
Download status will be updated every 16384 bytes.
Case-insensitive searches will be performed.
Package installations will continue if a dependency cannot be installed.
Tracing info will not be written.
Screens will pause after 24 lines.
Query/search results will be verbose.
Current PPD repository paths:
ActiveState Package Repository:
http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer

To set the repository path:
PPM> set repository Repository_Name URL
so for ActiveState Package Repository as above:
PPM> set ActiveState Package Repository
http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer
(The URL above will most likely be wrapped)

ppm set help gives:
set repository NAME LOCATION
    - Adds a repository to the list of PPD repositories for this
      session.  'NAME' is the name by which this repository will
      be referred; 'LOCATION' is a URL or directory name.

> D:\PERL\BIN>ppm
> PPM interactive shell (2.1.6) - type 'help' for available commands.
> PPM> install dbi
> Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
> Installing package 'dbi'...
> Error installing package 'dbi': Could not locate a PPD file for
> package dbi
> PPM> version
> 2.1.6

I think that your repository is not pointing to the correct URL.
My PPM is:
PPM> version
2.1.5

Hth,