Randal

There's nothing wrong with Wiggins' advice. Take a look at "the first URL
[he] posted earlier" and you'll find nothing about the HTTP::Request::Common
module at all. In fact I can't find anywhere it tells you not to use the
constructor directly - the nearest I've come across is in the POD for the
Common module itself, which says that the GET, PUT etc methods are "usually
more convenient to use".

In any case I think it is often appropriate to offer low-level solutions on
a beginners newsgroup so that the (often simple) nitty gritty isn't masked
behind cute method calls.

It's not appropriate to correct anything but misleading advice.

Cheers,

Rob

"Randal L. Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Wiggins> Right. And that is what the LWP module is for. From the docs on
the
> Wiggins> first URL I posted earlier:
>
> Wiggins>    # Create a request
> Wiggins>    my $req = HTTP::Request->new(POST =>
> Wiggins> 'http://www.perl.com/cgi-bin/BugGlimpse');
> Wiggins>    $req->content_type('application/x-www-form-urlencoded');
> Wiggins>    $req->content('match=www&errors=0');
>
> And further down in that same doc, it says "don't do this, use
> HTTP::Request::Common instead".  Please copy the right example.
>
> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
0095
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
training!