HI Randal,

Although not in the Perl culture, I have indeed seen a great deal of cargo cult
thinking in my years, and I fully agree that such consciousness is a Very Bad Thing.

On a quick skim of lwpcook, I would also tend to agree that this is a good source of
first reference to those utilities.  In particular, the equanamity with which the two
approaches were presented was appropriate to the distinctions in taste they represent.
 I also strongly agree that proposing any *ONE***WAY* to do something is less than
helpful.

I still differ on the learning aspects of this.  I feel that the second example is
better production code, while the first is better for learning about the use of perl
on the cgi.  Certainly it is more concise to send all the parameters in the call, but
the earlier example gives the student a better idea of what is going on.

No, I do not believe it necessary to start students out in assembler--unless their
focus is in the electronics engineering aspects of computing.  Programming as we
practice it starts at a different level, where we generally assume the underlying
system to be ready for our source.  Logical primitives, though, are another thing
entirely, They are far from superfluous to the programming art.  They are, in fact,
intrinsic.

Therefore I do believe that C and C++, with their rigorous type-specificity and
structured organizational schema, serve better as entry languages for new programmers.
 When students have graduated to templates through a natural development process, they
will be much more ready to appreciate, and use intelligently, the tools that Perl
provides.

The C compiler is like a Sensei, a stern, but fair taskmaster that demands exactitude
of the student and firmly checks any incorrect move, but with clear instructions as to
what the error was, and where it occured, and with a clearly defined set of rules
which must be followed for success.  So far, I have found the Perl interpeeter to be
downright capricious by comparison.

An old friend of mine, a long-time C programmer who had recently experienced a
religious conversion to Perl, explained to me that the language had an incredible
assoermwnr of features that programmers like him had always wished for.  I can see it.
 I just think one can appreciate it more when they have developed the hunger for it
through a natural process.

Think about the debates a few years back about the use of calculars in mathematics.
We were told that this was just fine, that we needn't worry about simple arithmetic
skills, and should let kids focus on higher-order thinking whilke the calculator took
care of the "drudge work".  Sounded great, in theory.  Problem was, without the rigors
of basic arithmetic, students never developed the skills of ordered thinking necessary
to understand the high-order concepts.  So we now have honor students entering college
without having completely mastered decimals and fractions.

In my view, this is the very epitome of cargo-cultism.  Doesn't the cargo cult
represent that non-critical adulation of the artifacts of a sophisticated culture, a
worship of little beads all glopped together to produce Magic--without penetration
into what it is about those beads, or their synergy, that give them this potency?  In
my view, the best antidote to this is some exposure to causality, to the understanding
that these things works because mutually recognized tokens are exchanged within a
protocol that gives them their meaning.

Joseph

.