Okay - CGI land - wheew! I thought I had really missed the boat
on my understanding of win32 cmd.com :)

Have you tried one of the following:

create a directory on your win98 box: \usr\bin

In that directory put a shortcut (do you have shortcuts on
win98?) to run perl.exe in \perl wherever

-or-

Do a similar thing with a perl.bat batch file.

If \perl (\perl\bin ?) is in your path, the perl .dlls
should be found OK.

Aloha => Beau.