Beau E. Cox wrote:

I almost *always* use this old-style config/make/install
sequence - rather than the CPAN shell - because I feel
like I have more control of the process and I can read the
README, INSTALL, etc. files before starting.

Just haven't read up on CPAN enough ;-) (neither had I until recently)...

Within the shell do:

> o conf

This will dump you a list of configuration parameters. Then to set a parameter do:

> o conf <param>=<value>

In particular for install options you will probably want to be using, 'make','make_arg',make_install_arg','makepl_arg' which correspond nicely to the the command line options when doing the manual install.

For viewing the README, etc. you can issue:

> get <module>

To download and unpack the module, then issue:

> look <module>

Which will dump you to a sub shell inside the build directory where you can look at the README, hack the makefile, etc. then just exit the sub shell and you are back into CPAN where you started... Fun for the whole family...

http://danconia.org