From: Dan Muey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 10:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Php perl?

> Is perl used to compliment PHP or is perl better to use by
> itself instead of php? How does one relate to the other. I am
> coming from a asp.NET vp.NET .asp vb background and am trying
> to get away form M$. So I am looking at apache php and perl

Apache serves the web pages whether those are html, text, perl, php,
etc...

What you'll find about perl and php people is that they strongly guard
'their language' as the best. I don't find it as bad in the perl
community but the php community will
swear up and down how Bad perl is and how much better php is.

In my experience and HO Perl is much more flexible and useful and easy
to expand. PHP is a bloated little sucker that I've found an irritation
to deal with on our Servers. Any problems we've had to deal with on our
server were all regarding php.
        ( Even Qmail had a breezy installation and configuration )

When a user says, "Hey can you add this to php" it's a stinking
nightmare but when someone Says "hey I could use this modules" it takes
the better part of twenty seconds to install it.

You'll probably hear PHP people talk about how great PHP works with
MySql and how super
it is at sending Mail and generating images. That one has always
confused me because if you look at cpan there's Tons of stuff for
databases, email, and images, and about anythign else you can think of.

So to sum it up ::
        Try both, use whichever you like.
        In my experience as a system administrator Perl has been much
more useful and easy to use, JMHI.
        Be wary of the way PHP people rip on Perl.
                ( if you have to brag about it or put others down it's
not as big as you make it out to be, no? )

I already saw a post describing what they were so I won't get into that.

Oh yeah , the .NET stuff I almost forgot. Perl has all kinds of modules.
I've never done .NET myself so I'm not sure about it ( check
http://search.cpan.org ) but there are all kinds of other web service
stuff. I've used SOAP and WSDL stuff and It works nicely with other
clients/servers in other languages.

Hope that helps

DMuey