use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper($ref);

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Musson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 3:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help please - still not understanding references I think...

Hey bseel,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 9:38:08 AM.

>>>   I was thinking (and the documents say) these are references, but I
>>>   have had a hard time getting my head around references...
>>>
>>>   I have tried adding this
>>>       print @$valref{cn};
>>>   but all it prints is
>>>       ARRAY(0x25d9ec4)
>>>   and I want it to print the value of "cn" which is
>>>       Musson, Timothy L
>>>
>>>   Can anyone point me in the right direction?

bmc> The reason that when you add print @$valref{cn}; that you get
bmc> ARRAY(0x25d9ec4) is because it is printing the actual reference to
bmc> the data, not the data. So that means that ARRAY(0x25d9ec4) is the
bmc> actual memory location of the data that you are referencing. If you

bmc> copy that reference, you will copy the address so that you are
bmc> still looking at the same data.

bmc> It is similar to pointers in C. The reference "points" to the data
bmc> in memory, whereas the variable isn't actually holding the data.

bmc> Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Yes it does make sense, but it just leaves one question...
How do I print the data? :-)

--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q

**** DISCLAIMER ****

"This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is confidential
and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of
the recipient(s) named above.
Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than
the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by
telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer".

Thank you for your cooperation.

For further information about Proximus mobile phone services please see our website at
http://www.proximus.be or refer to any Proximus agent.