[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thrown in the deep end to try and work out what the problem with
> a perl script running on Novell Bordermanager.  I'm probably going to have
> a few stupid questions over the next few days.  Please forgive me before
> hand, and dont laugh too much!   I am trying to bolster my knowledge via
> the on-line library at learn.perl.org, perldoc, and a couple of online
> tutorials I found.
>
> Whilst troubleshooting the script (using -w and -c) I get references to
> line xxx..
>
> My stupid question number one is:  When Perl processes the script, how
> does it identify the lines of code?  ie.. If an error occurs at line 125,
> is that the 125'th line of actual code, or does it count every single line
> in the script from the beginning including remm'ed statements, blank lines
> etc...??
>
> My reason for asking, is that with -w  I get "use of uninitiaized value
> at..." errors which do not make much sense at the line numbers
> mentioned...

Take note of the source file that the line number refers to it will say
something like

  at myfile.pl line 99

but a mistake in your program can cause errors in the module files it uses.
Also, if you have a file open for reading Perl will also report the number
of the record you last read from the file. Don't confuse this with a source
file line number which will also be in the message.

HTH,

Rob