Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

This is getting more and more interesting.  The script I am looking at
actually worked once!!

I tried to use dianostics to no avail.  I got the following message:

syntax error at sys:\perl\lib/diagnostics.pm line 171, near "use 5.005_64"

I then did a perl -v and got:

version 5.003_07 <Netware build #338>

Am I right in thinking I have a problem with versioning here??

After a bit of checking on www.novell.com I found a doc that suggested I
use - perl -d script.pl
to debug.  That seemed to work well.  I now have some error messages I can
work with.  I will have a punch at it over the next couple of days, and
yell if I cant get anywhere....