Dan Anderson wrote:

 > He is right.  Although I am new to Perl, I have had some very dumb users
 > break my PHP scripts by inputting things like "eighteen dollars and 0
 > cents" in a form with an explicit $ sign in front.

Sometimes "dumb users" can be quite creative:

<a
href="http://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?url='%3E%3Cimg%20src=http://www.patrick.fm/boobies/boobies.php?text=VeriSign%3E";>I

Love VeriSign</a> (Link might contain nudity. Yes, I know it's a plain text message.)

Conclusion: *never* assume you know how the user's input looks like. Otherwise "dumb users" can make the webmasters look dumb, like with this example.

--
ZSDC