Tristram Nefzger wrote:

> >Which PPM server are you using Tristram?
>
> I've switched to from ActiveState perl to the Cygwin perl
> package.  The latter doesn't seem to include the ppm command.

No. As far as I know PPM is an ActiveState product which you
will get by installing ActivePerl.

> Using Cygwin perl, I just installed DBD::Oracle by running
> these commands:
>
> perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI'
> perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::Oracle'
>
> When you install a module using perl -MCPAN -e 'install
> module', there's an attempt to determine all the dependencies
> and install them first. However, my first attempt at
> installing DBD::Oracle failed and printed a message saying
> that DBI.pmm wasn't installed so I did that separately
> and then redid the DBD::Oracle installation.  Then the latter
> worked but the configuration and test phases did not complete
> because ORACLE_HOME was not defined.

An ORACLE_HOME environment variable should be set up by the
Oracle installation. It should be easy enough to add it if it's
not there. But perhaps you should be reinstalling Oracle as
there may be other objects missing?

> I have my system configured to prefer the CPAN mirror at
> cpan.pair.com/pub/CPAN/ because pair.com is in relatively
> nearby Pittsburg (I'm in Baltimore) and I've had excellent
> experiences with their hosting services.  My CPAN
> configuration was setup at the beginning of my first module
> installation attempt and the configuration file is
> /lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN/Config.pm.

It sounds like all you need to do now is to setup ORACLE_HOME
properly. The problem that you have now is not that you can't
find the module but that it doesn't install cleanly. CPAN
famously doesn't like Windows, and IMO you'd be better off going
back to ActivePerl. You can certainly install DBD::Oracle with
the latest version of PPM, and you may even find that it comaes
as part of the ActivePerl installation.

HTH,

Rob