On Thursday, Nov 6, 2003, at 09:13 US/Pacific, Tore Aursand wrote: [..]
My point is still valid, though;

p0: there is a cgi beginner's mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> that is devoted to the specific fun/horror of cgi coding in perl for those interested in raising the general issues.

p1: barring that, forgive me for showing up late for this, but
allow me to argue the counter point if I may. Jenda, as usual
has a bit of tongue in cheek worth being enjoyed! But the
real 'argument' if one wishes to make it is

getting one's head around how CGI.pm actually does it's voodoo

Folks really should pull it up with say

perldoc -m CGI

and read the comment bars, whinings, complainings, and general
technical kvetchings. Folks really will get a much better feel
for what is going on in that space, Lincoln D. Stein, and
the freaks supporting the CGI code line have done some serious
Grand Master FunkaDelik coding to keep it alive and practical.

So let us therefore assume that folks who start out as 'beginners'
have some desire to become our replacements and start maintaining
the code lines for the Next Cool Techno Wave! And not merely be
the simple typists of text for ever. So we need to help them
understand both sides of the dark horror. The 'traditionalist'
position of 'just use the stock modules', as well as the more
'experimentalist' approach of 'hey, it IS going to hurt for a
while, and you will ENJOY the CGI module more once you survive
your folly...' since, well, as the CGI module itself notes,
there were a few things that should have started out other ways
but, well, we were all a lot younger back then.

p2: The logical extension of course is that 'parsing form data'
is a reasonably good place to step into the basics of Regular Expression
mastery, and how that Voodoo Works, while also getting one's head
around what IS required in Forms, what is cooler in Forms, and
what is SUCH a bad idea.

So the real question is not whether parsing one's own is 'good or bad'
but 'what is it that the OP is really working on'.

ciao drieux

---

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]