> hack around it I suspect you could pull out the POST data, then grab the
> actual full URL then pass it back through CGI's private methods to grab
> the data that is there also and combine the two...

Or, the OP can do what I have been doing for years with no ill effects, and
simply write your own.  I've never used CGI.pm, but written numerous programs
"by hand" which have served me well over the years.

I get exactly the feature set I want, operating exactly how I expect it to.
If it comes to the point where you need to "hack around" CGI.pm, I'd say go
with your original inclination to just do it yourself.

-Phil