On Friday, Nov 7, 2003, at 10:11 US/Pacific, Wiggins d Anconia wrote: [..]
Thank you for putting this so eloquently, to back it up with the most
simple example of all though.... remember images, that a majority of web
sites use these days, are distributed over that very protocol right
under our noses!
[..]

Interesting, hadn't thought about the 'image' side of the
problem. Rather I was thinking in terms of what some would
be calling 'web proxying' and/or 'distributed computing'
where we just happen to be using HTTP as the session layer
hence 'technically' the 'web_server' at the other end of
the socket connection 'could' dish up "web pages" rather
than, well, just be the 'bridge' between the HTTP Request
and the specified URI thingus, which turns out to be a
piece of Perl CGI code, that doesn't have to be god's
brightest crayon in the box, since it merely has to know
whether the 'parameters' passed to it are 'kosher' before
it invokes some code on that box...

That fiasco started out the old fashion way:

        Yeah, so we just hand wave a database abstraction layer (DAL)
                over there, and we chat with it using HTTP as the session layer,
                then all we need is to define the syntax and semantics of the
                DAL, and the web-tool will just do the majik....

only to find out that, uh, no one was working on the database side
of the DAL, and well, so we hacked from the 'knows how to take
in the CGI foo' and stuff something like a DB there...

As someone once asked,

but why didn't you use SOAP, etc, etc, etc.

and the only answer I could say was

        it was not suppose to be big, complex, and/or require
        the addition 'effort' that would have gone into that,
        since that would have required that all of the SOAP modules
        be installed...

so one hacks, one uses the freaking

use lib "<place_relative_to_here>";

and makes sure one's installer plonks everything where it is
suppose to be on the 'web server' - even if it IS only a
freaking httpd droid that will never actually dish out a
web page...

As the Maxim Goes,

start small, plan to improves.

ciao
drieux

---

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]