Sounds like you are trying to write a harvesting tool to build a
spammer's email address list to me.  Since you want to do it in C, I
suspect that either you have a huge amount of text to parse, probably
from web pages and news group postings, or you need to write a tool
that will run inside of a worm or virus to extract email addresses
from an address list of a machine you just hacked.  Please explain to
the list why it would be beneficial to help you.  For one, you could
just write it in perl and then use one of the perl2c tools out there
to translate it into C.