On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 15:56, Manish Uskaikar wrote:

> I am a student of perl, who is amazed by the power of perl, when it comes to
> regular expressions. I have learned Omnimark / flex and many other tools,
> but found that Perl is better than all(This is my personal opinion). Let me
> assure the group that it is not for any harmful use. I am trying to parse a
> big data file. Please provide the correct information.
>
> Thanking U in advance.
>
> Regards
> Manish U.

Perl is a great language no doubt  in parsing large files.
If you are parsing a big data file , no matter how big , There is no
reason why you should not use perl  Unless your process is time critical
, and there are a queue of processes that are waiting for your process
to finish at run time

I choose to write code in perl , unless I am forced to write it in C ,
either because  my system just hangs if I use perl ( like some threaded
applications ) or because my BOSS wants so ;-)

Ram

NETCORE SOLUTIONS *** Ph: +91 22 5662 8000 Fax: +91 22 5662 8134

MailServ and FlexiMail: Messaging Solutions: http://netcore.co.in

Pragatee: Integrated Server-Software Suite: http://www.pragatee.com

Emergic Freedom: Server-centric Computing: http://www.emergic.com

BlogStreet: Blog Profiles and RSS Ecosystem: http://blogstreet.com