Tone wrote:

>  Hello,  I'm interested in programming languages and am somehow new to this field.I
> am moving from Windows to Linux and am interested in engaging in the programming
> world. What I would like to ask is: why would I be interested in learning Perl ?Give
> me the main reasons why I may be interested in Perl rather than in PHP, ASP.... Is
> Perl any useful for Artificial Intelligence development?Actually I am interested in
> collaborating to the "Technological Singularity" but I don't know how can I help and
> I don't know where to start.Perhaps I should learn LISP or something instead of Perl
> and so I would like to know what do you have to say.Because it seems that Perl is
> not dead so there must be good reason for that... Thanks, Tone.

Hi Tone,

Well, you are asking a lot of hypothetical questions about ourself, that probably only
you, or someone who knows you very well, could answer.  I believe that most of us who
use Perl do so because we feel comfortable with it, and because we find that it
assists our productivity.

It is very stable at this time, having been around for something like 16 years [and
six days].
It has been used in the CGI context from the early days of the public Internet.
It is steadily maintained.
It supports very natural coding syntax.
It is very flwexible.

The only person who can say whether it is the right language for you to invest your
time in is you.  It doesn't have to be an either/or question.  Perhaps there may be
questions about which language should come first, though.  If you are interested in
Perl, just read some basic texts and try it on for size.

Joseph