zentara wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2003 16:05:16 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Anderson) wrote:
> >
> >        I am trying to create a  spider to grab my books off of Safari
> >for a  batch printing job so I  don't need to go  through each chapter
> >myself and hit the Print button.  So I used this script to try and log
> >myself in to the safari site:
>
> Watch out, Safari monitors for this, and I believe it's in there EULA.
> I was warned for "surfing too fast", and wasn't even using a script.
>
> You should slow down your script, and randomize times, maybe
> spread it out over the whole day too.

Either that, or just respect their intent.  The open-source world is made of
balances.  One of them is the willingness of authors to make materials
available online, under conditions that still encourage people to buy the
books or materials.  It doesn't seem unreasonable at all to ask that people
at least look at the page they are downloading.

Call me an old fogy, but I think that some of the mechanization of Web
communications has gone too far.  Providing interactive features in the CGI
is one thing.  It provides services for both sides of any transaction
involved.  Batch harvesting of pages meant for human perusal, like batch
dialing of persons homes at mealtimes, strays across a line into misuse of
technology, IMHO.  Apparently, the folks at O'Reilly agree.  Since some of
them at least, have been around the CGI since its inception, you might have
a bit of a challenge in thwarting their intended use of their site.

Joseph