Dan>         I guess I should stop then, but I was looking at O'Reilly's
Dan> robots.txt file (http://safari.oreilly.com/robots.txt):

Dan> Allow: /

Dan>         Which made me think spidering was alright.

That's for spiders on the public content.  Not the content that you're
paying for, which is subject to your agreement.

You can't download an entire book because O'Reilly would have no way
of disabling access to that book when you select a different book for
your bookshelf the following month.  You aren't buying the book.
You're renting access to the book in online form for a fixed period.

Please respect the license agreement.