Once you get the AS PERL working, use ppm or ppm3 (Perl Package Manager) to get DBI/DBD modules (DBD::Oracle) on your system. Connect and you're on your way. There is a book on this subject that will help,

I've always found this link to help describe the length of the tunnel...
http://www.yapc.org/America/previous-years/19100/schedule/author/njt_mastery.html