> Hi
> I am trying to install DBI on AIX 5.  Perl is working great.  I also
had no problem installing PERL on my own windows laptop.
> I have found the DBI-1.41.tar.gz file and have successfully downloaded
it.  (I need to download it to windows and then transfer the file to
unix because of network restrictions.)  I believe that I need to run
gzip and then tar open the file.  When trying to run gzip, I am getting
an error message - invalid compressed data-crc error.

> >From reading the documentation, it appears that I can also run CPAN
but that hasn't been used before.

> Installing PERL was too easy.  What am I missing.

Perl or perl never PERL.  An "invalid compressed data-crc error" is
either a problem with the downloaded file or with your gunzip.  When you
copied from windows to AIX did you do so in a binary fashion?

As for CPAN it should help with all of this, but is difficult to setup
without a direct or proxied network connection. Aka it is harder to copy
the files into the right places to avoid the need for a network
connection than just installing the modules manually.

I would double check your download, your copy, and your gunzip before
doing anything further. I am assuming that you are running gunzip
instead of gzip, one is for compressing the other for inflating, you
need the latter.

After decompressing and untarring there should be a README or INSTALL
file to help with further installation, but the standard Perl module
installation routine should work with DBI.

perldoc perlmodinstall

Come back if  you are still stuck...

http://danconia.org