On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 11:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi

> I am using code written by some one else. I didn't understand the difference
> between these subroutines, the way they were defined.
>
> 1. sub addToLog      {  Some code  }  Any specific reason where we should
> not use braces ??
> 2. sub displayEnv( ) {        "          }    Any specific reason why we should
> use braces  ??
> 3. sub trim($)             {  "          }    Any specific reason why we should
> use a brace with a $ sign  in it ??

Those are prototypes. Basically, you use them to specify how your
subroutine is to be treated.

sub trim($), for instance, means that trim will work on a scalar.

This is useful to, instead of something such as

trim($var)

use something such as

trim $var

Also,

trim

by itself is interpreted as trim($_)

trim $var1, $var2

is the same as

trim($var1), $var2

> sub displayEnv( ) {   "          }

This makes displayEnv by itself (that is, with no braces) work in your
code, not munching up anything following it :-)

> Could some one specify reason when to use braces and when not to use .
> Replies are highly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

You're the one who has to choose, I guess :-)

> Regards
> Anand

HTH,

jac

--
José Alves de Castro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://natura.di.uminho.pt/~jac