On Aug 5, Jose Alves de Castro said:

>sub trim($), for instance, means that trim will work on a scalar.

It means that trim() expects ONE argument and will enforce scalar context
on it.  trim($foo) and trim(@bar) both work.

>This is useful to, instead of something such as
>
>trim($var)
>
>use something such as
>
>trim $var

That has nothing to do with prototypes.  That is only the case when trim()
is defined before it's used (or before that specific use of the function).

>Also,
>
>trim
>
>by itself is interpreted as trim($_)

Not so; trim($) means it *must* have an argument sent to it.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan         %  How can we ever be the sold short or
RPI Acacia Brother #734     %  the cheated, we who for every service