First of all, "Perl" is the language, "perl" is the program that runs
programs written in Perl, and "PERL" isn't a word.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Drue Reeves wrote:

>  Why is it bad to mix JSP and Perl?

They are just much different frameworks.

Most Java systems I'm aware of (and I'll plead guilty to some ignorance
here) pretty much want you to do everything in Java, from the JSP
scripts that display pages to the beans (or whatever) that implement the
site logic to, sometimes, the database itself.

Perl on the other hand is often the "glue" holding a heterogeneous
system together. It's very good for getting a bunch of disparate pieces
that are either old or maybe came from different places to play nicely
together.

I know nothing about your JSP system, but conventionally, shops that
have decided to go with JSP seem to do everything in JSP, just because
there's so much inertia behind getting everything locked in to Java.

I seem to be talking about the cultures more than the languages.

Oh well.

>  Maybe a better question is how do you call a Perl script from a web
> page (and pass parameters)?

There is a lot of flexibility here.

Often, Perl *is* the web page, whether by a CGI script that runs perl
and executes the script with each page view, or a mod_perl plugin that
embeds perl into Apache so that scripts are persistent in memory (which
is the approach that JSP and other languages seem to take, right?).

But if you just have a static HTML document that needs to call Perl
somehow, the usual way is either by a form's <action> tag or just by
following a link. In either case, this usually ends up being a GET or
POST request to a Perl script that has been exposed as a web page with a
URL. For POST requests, the parameters are sent to the script basically
as a text document that is uploaded to the server, while for GET
requests the data comes in following the script. Hence,

    http://google.com/search?q=http%20protocol
    ^      ^          ^     ^-- parameters to the script
    |      |          +--- the script / program / whatever
    |      +---- the domain
    +----- the protocol

And if this doesn't make sense, there's lots of documentation out there.
This book may help clarify things -- it's old now, but the fundamentals
haven't changed since it was published:

    <http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/webclient/>

So, if you're working via HTTP -- as you're doing on the web -- then it
just ends up being a URL that you GET from or maybe POST to.

Make sense? More questions?

--
Chris Devers