Thanks for this. I'm not completely new but haven't found any sort of comprehensive docs, only cryptic ones. Where might I find it?

By debug switch do you mean the optional debug_flag ? No I haven't but about to.

No idea what AUTH_MODE means, and my two oreilly perl books don't tell me either but I'll try and Google for it.

Thanks, have moved on a little!

Jim

Did you turn on the DEBUG switch?  There is a section in the docs that
state that it will give an indication of errors. I copied your script,
turned it on, saw that the connection was successful by login was not. I
then attempted switching the AUTH_MODE for my connection to PASS (yes I
know what this means, do you? If not, learn before doing so.) and
everything then worked.

It runs, but I get "You have -1 messages"

The docs state that currently the only way to check for successful connection is to ask for the number of messages, with -1 indicating connection failure. I suspect 0 is success but empty, and >1 meaning success and with messages.

Granted this is fairly annoying and I would think getting that switched
is high on their list.

I suspect the -1 means the variable has not been initialized or for some reason it will not connect to the server.

-1 is initialization of the variable, just not a connection.

TIA

Jim

<snip code>

http://danconia.org