Please bottom post....

> Thanks for this.  I'm not completely new but haven't found any sort of
> comprehensive docs, only cryptic ones.  Where might I find it?

Documentation for modules available on CPAN are always available online
in a quite readable format, for example,

http://search.cpan.org/~sdowd/Mail-POP3Client-2.16/POP3Client.pm

Also you can access most modules documentation after installation by
issuing,

perldoc <module name>
perldoc Mail::POP3Client

> By debug switch do you mean the optional debug_flag ?  No I haven't but
> about to.

Well yes, but it is 'DEBUG', and is passed to the constructor.

> No idea what AUTH_MODE means, and my two oreilly perl books don't tell
> me either but I'll try and Google for it.

AUTH_MODE sets the mode that the POP client will use to send the
password. The POP3 server on the other end may or may not support
"encrypted" (actually hashed but that's another topic) passwords in
which case the AUTH_MODE may need to be set to tell the client to send
the password in clear text.  Setting AUTH_MODE to BEST seems to allow
the most flexibility.

> Thanks, have moved on a little!
>
> Jim

No problem.