Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

JupiterHost.Net wrote:

Again, why aren't you just using Email::Valid?

I have already explained that:
http://www.mail-archive.com/beginners%40perl.org/msg62450.html

Faulty reasoning, the modules are available for public download to
and if they don't have them they'll know it from the error you
output about it informing them its needed and be able to install it
quite easily

 perl -MCPAN -e 'install Email::Valid;'

The advantages of it far outway the "they don't have to install a
module" argument. That's what modules are for! :)

I hear that you have never distributed CGI scripts to people who

You hear? From who? Who told! :)

typically have never heard of CPAN and don't have shell access, and to

I have actually but I educate them briefly on the benefits and then we use FTP if need be ;p
Plus if I had host that wasn't willing to install Email::Valid for me so I could use it in a script, I'd dump 'em fast :)

whom Perl and CGI are synonyms. That's the 'business' I am in.

Bummer :)

Or you can always include the Email::Valid Module in the public
script.
I do that with a few modules, but it makes installation harder and
makes it more difficult to maintain my programs. Consequently, I avoid
that trouble for trivial things. In this case we are talking about a
simple input validation check, aiming to catch typos, and it would
not justify that Email::Valid, as well as the non-standard modules
it's dependent on, be included in the distribution.

That way they don't have to install the module and you can use
solid consistent code.

I believe that my modified function is "solid" and "consistent"
enough, but I posted it in the hope to get some feedback on
*the code*.

cool, sometimes the paradigm needs changed though and not the code :)

I'm happy if you're happy!