Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson writes:
I hear that you have never distributed CGI scripts to people who
typically have never heard of CPAN and don't have shell access,
and to whom Perl and CGI are synonyms. That's the 'business' I am
in.

Then cut and paste the relevant parts of Email::Valid (a proven solution) into your script. The license permits that.

Still faulty reasoning to think you need to "reinvent it",

1. It would have been much more difficult to figure out which parts of Email::Valid, and the modules it's dependent on, I'd need to copy and paste, than it was to write those lines.

2. I'm not even trying to "reinvent" exactly what Email::Valid does; I
want a looser check than a strict RFC 822 check. Maybe because I live
in a country with an alphabet that includes non-ASCII chars, I want to
take the new possibility to register domain names with such characters
into consideration. In a few years, an address like
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> may be a deliverable address, so my function
does not invalidate it.

"Faulty reasoning"? I don't think it is. My points of view may differ
from yours, but I fail to understand why that would automatically make
them "faulty".

and a waste of our time to vet your new solution.

RFC 822 provides a set of strict rules, and my function uses a few regexes that (partly) match those rules. It's a few lines of focused code, and if you hadn't turned this thread into a discussion about using modules, the code could have served as a base for discussing regular expression related matters of public interest to list members who strive to improve their Perl skill.

If such a discussion would have been a waste of your time, I wonder
how many - and which - threads here you consider to not be a waste of
time.

Silly person.

No comments.

--