On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Ron Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm working the exercises out of the "Learning Perl" book, but I'm doing so through
> a shell account from a Window$ box into a UNIX environment. I'm experiencing an
> oddity wherein I'm getting, what I think are, extra newlines or carriage returns in
> my code as I type it in the shell through a telnet session. This phenomenon, of
> course, throws off the results of the code.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution? I've tried several adjustments in
> the code I'm writing by using an extra 'chomp' or' chop', but this method is
> hit-and-miss. There may be some ENV variable or something else I can use to get some
> consistency going.
>
> TIA
> Ron

What UNIX environment?  What terminal emulator?  I know that Solaris
includes a handy utility called dos2unix that will help pull out
annoying extra characters from DOS created text files.  Perhaps this
utility is found in other UNIXy OSs as well.

--Errin