On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Ron Smith wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm new at logging into shell accounts through a 'telnet' session. I'm on a Window$ 2000 box, using 'telnet' to log into '[OMITTED -- chd]. The first thing that appears at login is the following:

NetBSD/alpha (sdf) (ttypu)

Does that help?

Let's try to nip bad habits in the bud before they take hold.

Do you have SSH access to this machine ?

Since you just said the host by name -- that was brave! -- I was able to take a look at it and *boy* do you have a lot of ports open. Finger? RPC? Truly the person running this computer is incredibly brave :-)

The telnet protocol is extremely insecure. Among other things, all traffic, including passwords, is transmitted as clear text, so anyone watching packets stream by can see everything you're doing. Danger!

This server is also running SSH, which is much, much safer to use than Telnet. If possible, you should use SSH and forget telnet ever existed.

 -> $ ssh blah.blah.blah.org
    The authenticity of host 'blah.blah.blah.org (300.400.500.600)'
    can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is So:me:-c:ha:in:-o:f-:le:tt:er:s-:an:d-:di:gi:ts.
 -> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
    Warning: Permanently added 'blah.blah.blah.org,300.400.500.600'
    (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
 -> [ENTER YOUR PASSWORD HERE; IT ISN'T ECHOED BACK TO YOU. --chd]

The -> lines indicate places you need to type in a response.

If all goes well here, you'll get a prompt after the password.

And tell whoever is running this machine that they should lock it down.

--
Chris Devers