-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Showalter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:44 PM
To: Brian Volk
Cc: 'beginners@perl.org'
Subject: Re: sort files by creation time

Brian Volk wrote:
> Hi All~
>

> I'm using the glob function to grab all the files in a given directory
> and
> then using crontab to check it every 5 minutes.  Once I have the files
> I'm
> using the diamond operator to read every line in every file and *do
> something* if the line matches.   Here's my questions:
>

> Given directory:
>
> File 1 - in dir at 9:01
>
> File 2 - in dir at 9:02
>
> File 3 - in dir at 9:03
>

> I would like to process the File 1 first then File 2 and then File 3.
> Each
> file contains data that I need to print for that order.  If I can
> process
> the orders (File 1, File 2, File 3) according to the time they entered
> the
> given dir (first in/first out) the data will print off in the correct
> sequence.

This will load @ARGV with the files in the current directory sorted
oldest -> newest:

   @ARGV = map $_->[0],
     map [ $_, -M ],
     grep -f,                 # get only plain files
     <*>;

How it works is left as an exercise for the reader :-)

Thank you!  And I think I just bought the book that explains the above!
Alpaca! Soon to find out!

Thanks again.

Brian Volk