--- "D. Bolliger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Derek B. Smith am Freitag, 1. Dezember 2006 20:31:
> > --- zentara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:34:16 -0800 (PST),
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> of
> [snip]

> > > nuances
> > > /etc/passwd
> but
> [snip]
> > > See:
> > > http://perlmonks.org?node_id=198680
> > >
> > > Here is a version with a Tk front end:
> > > http://perlmonks.org?node_id=387351
> >
> > ok but is it possible to emulate an ftp get from
> the
> > master to retreive files from all clients w/out
> > deploying the client code to all clients using
> this module?
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> Sorry for not providing an answer to your question
> (I *think* your question is
> answered by the manual. If not, wait for zentara :-)
> )
>
> I may miss something but it may make the person(s)
> who are responsible for
> security nervous to hear of plans/thoughts
>
> - to transfer hundreds of passwd files unencrypted
> over the network
> - to place them in the /tmp directory with
> predictable file names
> - of seeing disallowed root login, locked down
> files, and missing
>   ftp as a problem
>
> At least I would get nervous (although not having
> access to hundreds of
> boxes...)
>
> Dani

I can understand you comments, but I am behind several
firewalls, I changed it from /tmp to my home dir with
permissions of 400. scp is being used as a work-around
while a manual login will have to be done for those
systems that do not have ssh turned on.
I was hoping for socket data transfers to mimic an
sftp/ftp get without having to deploy code to the
clients and or deploying this module on the clients.