On 12/7/06, hOURS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Thanks for trying, but this right  here is the heart of the matter.  I'd be
 using alarm to time a certain thing.   It seems to me, any explanation of how
to do that, be it plain English  or sample code has to incorporate that thing.
                  My program in a nutshell goes:
  Blah blah blah the beginning part
  require  someprogramthatmayhaveaninfiniteloop.pl
  Blah blah blah the ending part
      Note that's not the literal  code.  :)
      As it stands if  someprogramthatmayhaveaninfiniteloop.pl does go on
forever I will never get to  the ending part.  How would one add  alarm to this
such that the ending part gets executed regardless?
      Fred Kittelmann
      > Where is the thing being timed?  I understand something is being given 5
> seconds, but what?

Hm... somebody else may explain this much better than I;

hOURS,

The example from the perlfunc should do what you want:

my $timeout = 3600; # 1 hour
eval {
   local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "longRunningModule timed out\n" };
   alarm $timeout;
   require longRunningModule;
   alarm 0;
}

if ($@) {
   if ($@ =~ /timed out/) {
       # timeout
   } else {
       # some other error

If that isn't doing what you need, you need to provide some sample
code, and a clearer explanation.

Best,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.downloadsquad.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!