On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 02:47 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm sorry. I wasnt clear in my first post. A situation arises when my
> router gets restarted, the internal ip addresses of the computers in
> my home (192.168.1.100 and the like) are shifted around. Normally I
> have the router forward some ports to one of my computers for a few
> services that I like to have, like an ftp server.

Sounds like dynamic IP addresses, DHCP.

Rather than solve the changing configuration,  change the setup of your
machines.  My home system has two static IP's allocated one my major
machine and one my son's so I can easily control it with filtering
rules.

DHCP can also map the mac address (physical number for the network card)
to a specific IP address.  You might want to have a look at that.

In direct answer there is WWW:Mechanise that can connect to a web screen
and perform actions.  IF you want to reconfigure a router then it is
possible that you would connect to the router webserver and reconfigure
it.  I have to say I would not recommend this,  you have lag between
reboot and rebuild for a start.

--
Ken Foskey
FOSS developer