On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Mumia W. wrote:

On 08/05/2007 07:21 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
     open(F,"do-something|");
     while(<F>){...}
 and later
     open(G,"do-something-else|")
     while(<G>){...}

What do F and G have to do with STDIN?
Everything...

The code "while(<F>){...}" does not read from STDIN but from F.
Of course.

There is no EOF character under Linux.
OK, bad choice of words. What I wanted was to have "open" read some chunk
of stdin (treat it as if it were the whole thing), have the shell do its
job ("do-something") and then pipe the result to be read through the F
fh. Later, "open(G,..." would do something similar with _the next_ chunk
of input, and so on.

Are you working under Windows?
Nope, I wouldn't touch Windows with a pole. But I should have mentioned
it...

--
Jorge Almeida